Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

SIMILE POETRY

Simile Poetry is one of my favorite “beginning of the school year” activities. This type of poetry is a simple blend of acrostic poetry



and similes. 




Have each student write his/her name down the left side of a piece of paper.  Using each letter as the first letter in a phrase, s/he writes a series of similes that describe him/herself.





Simile poems are a great way to get to know your students, or at least gain some insight into their self-images.  A display of these poems is a big hit at the fall open house.  Keep these poems in your students’ portfolios.  Repeat the assignment at the end of the year and enjoy comparing the two.







You may like:

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting idea - I might try it in a second language class this fall! Thanks for sharing!

    Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea.I’m your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to add this to my beginning of the year activity box :)

    ReplyDelete